It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It's Better To Travel Than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"
Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.  

"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has
obviously never flown long haul economy class"
Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.

Firstly, a little about myself.  In international relocation parlance I am what is officially known as a "trailing spouse".  The term trailing spouse is used to describe a person who follows his or her life partner to another city because of a work assignment.  That makes it all sound a bit clinical to me, and what I actually am is a very lucky, incredibly happy chick who loves moving from interesting place to interesting place with her fantastic husband.

Thus far we've lived together in Adelaide (my home town), Bangkok, Detroit and now southern Germany.  My husband is Scottish, and we are so lucky to have friends and family scattered all over this fabulous planet, hence we do a LOT of travel.  I would guess that I'm on a plane at least 20 times a year, and my husband would do many more flights than that.

I primarily travel economy class unless I'm lucky enough to get bumped (rare, oh so rare) and within Europe I fly on budget airlines.  I think the last 10 years of international travel give me some sort of insight into what to do and what not to do to get the best out of your travel and adventures overseas.

Not saying that I always have fabulous travel experiences - far from it!  But I always have a bit of a giggle, even when things go bad, and I thought you might get a bit of a giggle from my tips and adventures.

If you like my blog, please tell your friends.  If you've got feedback or great travel hints yourself, please tell me.  If you don't like my blog then I guess you'll stop reading, and then you'll never get to hear about the screaming prisoner handcuffed to the police on the flight to Johannesburg last year, and how I ended up laying down and sleeping for 10 hours on an empty row of three seats in economy on that very same flight (which was absolutely packed to the rafters).  Your call.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear your stories. Welcome to blog land!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!