It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Monday, September 24, 2012

From the Archives - Part 2

Ah, PhotoShop - it's a wonderful thing ...


The second part of my adventure at the Indian Embassy in Bangkok, will I ever get my visa?

Just back from the Indian Embassy, and of course, that
means another story!  Today was the day I was told to
pick up my visa.  The Embassy said that I had to go at
12 noon, but I was at the ANZWG Friendship Lunch at
the Novotel today and didn't want to leave early, so
chanced my arm and went back at 3pm when they re-open
for the afternoon session.  Turns out it was lucky I
didn't go at 12 noon as they don't actually hand out
the visas until 3pm - they must have been "mistaken". 
Again.

Anyway, I'm in a HUGE line but armed with the courage
that four champagne and oranges at a girly lunch will give a
person.  The line is barely inching forward and my
feet are going numb when the Indian Ambassador's
personal driver walks through the room and sees me
(the Indian Ambassador to Thailand lives in the
penthouse suite of our apartment block).  He calls me
out from the line and takes my paperwork, telling me
to wait whilst he disappears behind some closed doors.

A few minutes later he re-appears and says "I bring to
your house 5pm, okay?", which is when he delivers the
Ambassador home.  I thank him profusely and try not to
do a happy little jig while the remaining people in
the line look like they want to kill me.  I float back
out to the car, giving the "thumbs up" to the happy
security girl who's gotten used to me after so many
visits, and am now at home waiting for my personal
visa delivery man to drop my passport off to the
house.  The gods must be smiling today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!