It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Two Roads Diverged ...




As I was out walking with Archie recently, my favourite poem came to mind as we turned a corner to see these two roads diverging in a yellow (well, yellowish) wood.  We didn't take the one less travelled by though, we took the one we always take to get us back to the car.  But in life I know I've taken the one less travelled by more than once, and it's always lead me to good things.  Do you sometimes chance it in your life, and take the less travelled path?


The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Oh, and I know that somewhere there's a certain Mr Bukva saying "That's NOT what this poem about!", and Beth is saying "Oh, I love this poem"!  I guess we've all got different ways of looking at things - and I choose to think that this poem is saying "Take a chance!".




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!