It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Recipe : Blueberry & Yoghurt Cake



Where we live, we pretty much can only get the fruits and vegetables that are in season in the supermarkets, so when I saw punnets of blueberries for only .99c each in the middle of winter - I jumped in and grabbed them.  Then I had to figure out what to do with them, so off to Google I scampered, and I found this great Blueberry & Yoghurt recipe.

It's dead easy and tastes fab.  I've made it three times now - twice with fresh blueberries and once with frozen raspberries.  Our oven is old and leaks heat, so I had to cook for nearly 20 minutes longer each time to get a skewer to come out clean from the centre of the cake.  You might have to do similar time juggling with your oven.  When I used the frozen berries, it took even longer to cook, though it did work in the end.

The first time I used the fresh blueberries, I followed the instructions and pushed them into the top of the cake before baking.  The top of the cake started to burn a bit after half an hour or so, so I covered it with tinfoil for the remainder of the baking time, and the texture was a bit like a steamed pudding - yum!  The next time I stirred the blueberries through the batter and shook some vanilla sugar over the top - the top didn't burn, though most of the blueberries sank to the bottom.

Anyway, it's a really easy cake and you can experiment with it.  I think you could make it with any kind of berries or chopped softish fruit - whatever you can find in season that's cheap.  My notes in italics, as usual, so let's cook!

  1. 125g butter (room temperature)
  2. 1 cup caster sugar
  3. 3 eggs (room temperature)
  4. 2 cups plain flour
  5. 2 teaspoons baking powder
  6. 3/4 cup vanilla yoghurt
  7. 1 cup blueberries

  • Preheat oven to 180c
  • Grease a 20cm round springform cake pan
  • Line base and side with baking paper (didn't do this any of the three times I made it - too lazy - I just greased the sides and bottom with that squirty butter stuff, and they came out of the pan just fine)
  • Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating to combine
  • Sift half the flour over mixture (I didn't sift over the mixture - too messy - I just sifted the flour and the baking powder when I was measuring it at the start and added the sifted mixture as required)
  • Add half the yoghurt
  • Mix to combine
  • Repeat with the remaining flour and yoghurt
  • Spread mixture into prepared pan
  • Press blueberries slightly into mixture (or stir them in, whatever you feel like)
  • Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer (or sharp knife) inserted into the centre comes out clean
  • Cover cake loosely with foil if over browning during baking
  • Transfer to a wire rack to cool (remove from pan after half an hour or so, leave it to cool a bit first)


Um, I was going to put a picture of the word "YUMMY" here, so I googled that - and I found this.  Seriously, has that kid got a mutant cupcake on a leash?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!