It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Sunday, September 7, 2014

Taste Test : Walkers "Ranch Raccoon" Crisps




I get it, different strokes for different folks, I really do understand that, but whoever came up with the idea of Walkers Ranch Raccoon flavoured potato crisps needs to be committed to some sort of facility.

Walkers is a huge UK potato crisp (chip) company, it's called Lays in the USA, and both countries have some sort of mad new flavour competition going on.  My friend Beth in Michigan bought and tried the Cappucino flavour ("so very wrong") and when I was recently in the UK I saw the Ranch Raccoon flavour and felt that I had to take one for the team.

Now that I've tasted the full horror of Ranch Raccoon, I can safely tell you to steer well clear.  It's seriously horrible and I still can't figure out what they taste like.  On the package there are images of figs, basil, chilli, limes and star anise (why, why?) and Walkers say that they're flavoured with Dorset sour cream, but they don't taste like any of those things.  Maybe they actually taste like raccoon?  If so, that's put me off eating raccoons for life …

I love crisps and trying different flavours (I even tried choc-mint Pringles at Christmas - DO NOT DO IT), but these are moving into a whole new realm of wrong.  Stick with the tried and true flavours if you don't want to end up throwing a 90% full bag of crisps in the bin.


2 comments:

  1. My garbage looked EXACTLY like that!! GROSS!!!! I'd rather eat paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, my friend in London has had the Raccoon and he ate the whole pack! Can't see what I was getting all squicked out about. Wrong.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!