It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Saturday, November 10, 2012

Jewish Coffee Cake Recipe



This is another yummy recipe I pulled from Pinterest.  The weather has started to cool here in Germany, and I'm getting back into baking, so I thought I'd give this a try and it's really good.  As usual, my comments in italics.  Here we go ...


Jewish Coffee Cake

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup white sugar (I used brown sugar.  I know, I'm such a rebel!)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup sour cream (I didn't have enough, so I used some Greek yoghurt with honey that I had in the fridge)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (I didn't have enough walnuts, but I had a tin of honey macadamias and I used those as well.  They are, however, much harder to chop and some fell onto the floor and then the dog ate them.  Sigh.)
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter

  1. Preheat oven to 350f/175c.
  2. Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan (I used my bundt pan, I love my bundt pan!)
  3. In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and baking powder
  4. Cream sugar, butter and eggs until smooth
  5. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth
  6. Stir in sour cream and vanilla
  7. In separate bowl combine nuts, icing sugar and cinnamon
  8. Spread half the batter into the baking pan
  9. Sprinkle layer of nut mixture on top
  10. Spread remaining batter and then top with remaining nut mixture
  11. Drizzle the melted butter over the top
  12. Bake for one hour in preheated oven, until cake springs back to the touch



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!