It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Thursday, April 25, 2013

Macatoo Camp - Abu




Here's Abu's official blurb from the camp brochure:-


  • 18.1hh, 2004, Grey Percheron.
  • Our biggest horse with a huge presence.
  • He is a very special horse with a great personality.
  • Half brother to Jao.


I had my last ride of the trip on Abu, after asking Mod if I could ride him - mainly because I'd never ridden a horse as big.

There's no doubt about it, Abu is huge.  Even from the mounting block it was a bit of a stretch to get on him.  He was an absolute love though, very slow and steady at the walk, but surprisingly sprightly and forward at the trot.  With his long legs, he does tend to pass other horses going at the same pace, so you do have to keep an eye on that.

If he had a motto, I think it would be "Whatever".  He doesn't bother about much, and isn't frightened of any of the game - mainly because I think he's bigger than most of it!

He crashed happily through the undergrowth, blissfully unaware that I was even sitting on him.  He's his own man and didn't pay me much attention - very funny.  I felt absolutely safe and secure on him and he was very happy to accept my snuggles and a kiss on the nose when we were done.  He's fabulous!

And, just as a side note, use your fingers to measure the size of his head in the photo, then move them over to me and see that his head is bigger than my torso and head.  This is a SERIOUSLY big horse.  And he's seriously brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!