It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Monday, April 15, 2013

Macatoo Camp - Champion




Here's Champion's official bio from camp brochure:-


  • 14.1hh, 1999, chestnut local horse from Maun.
  • Very good natured lovely horse.
  • Easy, safe and responsive horse.


Here's my take on Champion:-


Champion really is a champion.  He’s so willing and forward, there’s no urging him on – he loves his work!  Happy to go and happy to stop – he’s just what I asked for.  His ears flop back and forth very reassuringly as he walks along, then point sharply forwards when there’s something you should see – he doesn’t miss much!

He is hardy, tough and goes all day, he will do his best to take care of you.  I think he’s made from iron and high tensile steel cable, covered in a furry Kevlar.  He’s not a snugly, “kiss my nose” type of horse.  I offered him my apple core on our first morning ride and he looked at me with utter disdain, as if I was mocking him.  He's not a snuggler, he's a worker.  I thought he was fabulous.

He could tell when I was getting a bit off balance, and tilted himself to fix the problem until I could get myself centred again.  If we had to suddenly swerve (and we did, often), he would try to swerve a bit slower so I didn’t go over.  His only downside is that he’s a bit afraid of elephants, but I think that’s actually quite clever and a good self preservation move.  A brilliant horse.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!