It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Macatoo Camp - Khwai




Here's Khwai's official blurb from the camp brochure:-


  • 15.2hh, 1993, grey Arab cross.
  • A truly amazing horse.
  • Forward going, intelligent, responsive and good with game.
  • The perfect safari horse, he becomes a favourite with most guests.


Khwai is apparently is a bit of a legend with guests, so sorry if he's your favourite!  He was lovely, but I thought his trot was like riding an arthritic table.  It felt like my spine was coming out through the top of my head, and I asked not to ride him again after the long morning ride.

His canter was lovely though  He’s 15.2hh, but has a swayed hammock back, so he’s really more like 14hh when you’re on top.  My other problem with the trot is that he really likes do it, whereas most of the other horses walk when the guide walks, Khwai likes to jog – PAINFUL!

I don't like to ever blame a horse for my faults, so me riding Khwai obviously is "horses for courses" - we just didn't mesh.  Another guest rode him after me and absolutely LOVED his trot, so it was more my problem than Khwai's.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!