When we were preparing to leave for Botswana and Cape Town, I was mainly focussing on Botswana, and didn't really make any plans (apart from accommodation) for Cape Town. If I had, I would have realised how fabulous and incredibly popular The Test Kitchen in Cape Town is. You have to book several months in advance, unless you strike it lucky.
Brilliantly, the concierge at our guest house knew someone who knew someone and managed to snag us a last minute table booking after a cancellation - and I'm so glad he did. The Test Kitchen is amazing and absolutely world class, one of the best restaurants I've ever been to.
Luke Dale Roberts is the brain behind The Test Kitchen. British born, Swiss and Asian trained, Luke and his large and amazing team turn out astonishingly good nosh.
You can choose from a degustation Gourmand Menu (13 courses and R700 on the night we were there) or a 5 course Discovery Menu (R470 or R715 including wine flight). We chose the Discovery Menu and hubby had the wine flight to accompany it, I stuck with the house cocktails (scrummy!).
I'll list what I had, and it was all seriously good:-
- Grilled scallop, asparagus, tofu miso suke, braised scallop dressing, miso on toast, braised shitake, raw shitake
- Fricasse of langousinte and smoked quail, corn and miso veloute
- Plum cured foie gras, plum and cinnamon confit, halva croquette, pulled biltong
- Test Kitchen suckling pig, Bread, Milk and Honey
- Caramelised banana pancake, lichi and mango canoli, passion fruit ice, lemon grass infused tapioca
The food is world class, the staff are attentive and knowledgeable, the menu is intriguing and the price is less than half of what you'd pay anywhere else in the world. If you're considering a trip to Cape Town, this is a restaurant you must not miss.
The Test Kitchen by Luke Dale Roberts
The Old Biscuit Mill
Phone:- +27 (0) 21 447 2337