It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Berry Yoghurt Cake Recipe



The local supermarket had blueberries and strawberries on special last week, and we all know that I can't resist a bargain, so a few punnets found their way into my trolley.  Of course, then I had to figure out what to do with my bargain berries, so I looked in my fridge and found some pots of Greek yoghurt, and then trotted off to the internet and did some poking around to come up with this scrummy Berry Yoghurt Cake.

It's dead simple and very tasty.  This is a heavy cake, not a fluffy sponge, it'll stick to your ribs and make you smile.  As usual, my comments are in italics, so let's cook!


Berry Yoghurt Cake


  • 2 cups mixed berries (you can use frozen or fresh apparently, I didn't measure mine perfectly and I think I put in more than 2 cups)
  • 3 cups self raising flour
  • 2 cups caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup yoghurt (I used one pot of Greek Honey yoghurt, and one pot of plain Greek yoghurt, and had slightly more than one cup)
  • 5 tablespoons of butter (I melted mine)
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (forgot this - oops!)
  • Zest of one orange (this really lifts the cake and makes it a bit zingy)



  1. Combine berries and flour
  2. Add remaining ingredients and mix until just combined
  3. Pour into greased 23cm springform tin (it's a lot of mixture, my mixture overflowed during cooking time - will use a bigger tin next time, or even two loaf tins instead)
  4. Bake at 180c for about an hour (my oven is old and dodgy, and I kept putting a sharp knife into the centre of the cake to check for "done-ness", but it just wasn't cooked in the middle.  I dropped the temperature to 150 after an hour, then about 15 minutes later I turned the oven off altogether and let the cake sit in the "off" oven for another 10 minutes.  So, all in all, it took about 85 minutes for me.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!